Installing A Tremolo (and Replacing the TremKing)
I finally had enough with the TremKing so out it came.
After unscrewing the TremKing from the guitar body I was left with three holes which would all need to be plugged before I could drill for the Hipshot inserts.
So obviously I began by taping the guitar off with masking tape so as not to accidentally scratch the finish while I’m working.
To plug the holes I used toothpicks in the same way as if I was plugging a stripped screw hole.
After stripping the toothpicks roughly in half, I coated each piece with wood glue and then jammed as many of them as I could, into each hole
Trimmed the toothpicks with scissors…
…and then cleaned it up with a razor.
Now that the old holes were filled in, it was time to drill for the inserts for the Hipshot.
Obviously, before I even thought about drilling, I needed to measure up and mark of where the holes would need to go.
Originally I was intending to drill the inserts with a hand drill using a doweling jig, but to be safe I ended up finding a friend with a drill press so that I could get the holes drilled perfectly vertical. In hindsight though, the drill press was probably overkill and I would go with the doweling jig if I needed to do it again in future.
After drilling I just pushed the inserts in…
…and then gently hammered them tight with a rubber mallet.
And believe it or not, thats all there is to it! The main trem assembly just rests against the inserts.
And the screws and springs went in like any other trem.
Now that the TremKing is lying on a rubbish heap somewhere, I’m back to a simple, floating trem that works and actually stays in tune.
Ahhh… Happy days are here again…